Wednesday, March 24, 2010

God's Architects

On March 23rd in the Millsaps College Academic Complex, I was privileged to view God's Architects. The film is about various poverty stricken, divinely inspired architects. Across the United States, we witness the truly amazing accomplishments of these people. From castles to parks to mountains to buses, these people have built truly amazing structures.

The director did an excellent in job in making a compelling story about these seemingly diverse individuals. He chose very powerful stories. I especially enjoyed his editing technique--showing the overlapping similarities of these individuals within the film itself. His music choices were very effective as well.

As far as improvements, while I did enjoy the use of steady cam exclusive use. His camera did move ALOT, and I can see how this may make the picture look low budget and cause nausea in some.

My favorite part of the film revolved around Shelby's story--the man whose built the castle for his deceased daughter. Of all the stories and individuals, I found him to have both the most interesting and most revealing story. I'll always remember the lines, "I'm a master a mason, a knight templar... suicide is not an option." Those sum up his entire story. His architecture was also my favorite.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I went in there knowing nothing about its topic and came out of it with a great understanding of it.

1 comment: